Play . March . Spin . Learn . Grow . Lead
If you're looking for a way to stay involved with music and the marching arts this summer, or if you're in search of a comprehensive summer camp experience that will enhance your individual skills as well as your leadership abilities then look no further than the 2016 JMU Summer Band Camps.
Choose your Camp Experience
The JMU Summer Band Camps experience is unique because we offer five different camps, which all take place simultaneously. Each participant should choose one of the following camps:
- Concert Band
- Marching Band
- Drum Major
- Yamaha "Sounds of Summer" Drumline Camp
- Color Guard/Weapon Camp.
This year's camp will be held Wednesday, July 5 - Sunday, July 9, 2017 on the James Madison University campus, located in Harrisonburg, Virginia. Enrollment is open to all rising eighth through twelfth graders.
The cost of this year's camp is $385 per student. This covers all camp-related expenses including: tuition, housing, food, recreation activities, a camp t-shirt, and camp water bottle. For additional information please visit the Application & Payment page.
During the JMU Summer Band Camps, participants will have an opportunity to work with nationally-recognized clinicians, JMU School of Music faculty, and the JMU Marching Royal Dukes band staff. All five camps also provide training in peer-teaching and leadership components designed not just for current or aspiring student leaders, but also for all musicians at all levels. After participating in the JMU Summer Band Camps, students will return with a variety of skills to pursue student leadership positions and offer additional contributions to their own high school band programs.
In addition to working with our outstanding staff, participants will have use of many of state-of-the-art Music and Athletic Facilities. Marching Band participants will rehearse in Bridgeforth Stadium (expanded in 2011), while Drumline, Color Guard and Weapon participants will have use of a variety of other athletic fields and outdoor space on campus. Concert Band participants will have use of the School of Music rehearsal rooms and practice rooms as well as the Forbes Center for the Performing Arts (opened 2010) Concert Hall and rehearsal space. Campers will also enjoy an assortment of recreational activities each evening raging from game and movie nights, karaoke and dancing, to swimming or climbing the rock wall at the University Recreation Center.
- Concert Band participants will work with JMU Director of Bands, Dr. Steve Bolstad, and have an opportunity for master classes and private lessons with JMU School of Music faculty members and guest artists.
- Drum Majors and Marching Band participants will receive special training in teaching marching and music, in addition to their basic instruction.
- Drumline participants will be participating in the Yamaha "Sounds of Summer" camp, featuring our guest clinician from Yamaha, Mr. Giff Howard.
- Color Guard participants will have an option to select a special weapons camp, featuring rifle and sabre.
- Color Guard and Drumline participants who are interested in performing with the Marching Band Camp component will have an opportunity to audition for a spot during the first day of camp.